“Hate may have visited our community. It’s taken the lives of innocent people. It has shaken us to our core and broken our hearts. But, hate will not define us. And, hate will not defeat us. Because we are ONE Orlando.”
– Mayor Buddy Dyer
Our community has received an outpouring of generosity as people from around the world continue to contribute to the OneOrlando Fund. We’re committed to ensuring that funds received into the OneOrlando Fund are directly distributed to victims’ families and survivors in an open, transparent and fair manner.
Attorney Kenneth R. Feinberg, considered the world’s foremost expert on victim compensation, will administer the OneOrlando Fund with the National Compassion Fund, a program of the National Center for Victims of Crime, a nonprofit group that is dedicated to assisting victims in the aftermath of mass shootings.The process will be open and transparent to ensure that these decisions are made with input from victims’ families and survivors and the larger community.
Process for Distribution of Funds
While exact dates have not been finalized, the following are the next steps for the process and a general timeline that will ensure these funds are distributed as quickly as possible:
- Fund Administrator Ken Feinberg has shared with the OneOrlando Fund board a draft framework that outlines the process for the distribution of funds. This framework has also been shared with the public at OneOrlando.org.
- Two town hall meetings will be held on August 4, 2016, at the Amway Center to get feedback from the victims’ families, survivors and the Orlando community on the draft protocol.
- Based on the feedback from the town hall meetings, a final process for distribution of funds will be approved by the OneOrlando Fund board.
- The final process, along with claim forms for the victims’ families and survivors, will be made available on OneOrlando.org. A deadline to file a claim will be announced at a future date.
- Claims will be reviewed and payments distributed by October 1, 2016.
- No overhead or administrative costs will be paid for out of the OneOrlando Fund.
OneOrlando will continue to provide updated information as details become available.OneOrlando works through this process to get funds to victims as quickly as possible, the City is meeting the immediate needs of those impacted by the Pulse tragedy through the Orlando United Assistance Center. This center serves as a navigation point for those who need support during this critical time of healing as well as moving forward. For personalized services, appointments can be scheduled by calling 407.500.HOPE or by visiting cityoforlando.net/hope.
OneOrlando Board Members
The OneOrlando Board, chaired by Orlando Magic President Alex Martins, was developed to provide oversight and guidance to ensure that funds are dispersed in a timely, accountable and transparent manner.The members of the board represent the diversity of Orlando, including those in the Hispanic and LGBTQ communities. OneOrlando Board members include:
- Rena Langley, Senior Vice President, Public Affairs & Worldwide Government and Industry Relations, Walt Disney World
- Diane O’Dell, Vice President of Community Relations, Universal Orlando Resort
- Stephanie Ghertner, Director, Darden Foundation & Community Affairs
- Mark Meyer, Industry Manager, JPMorgan Chase
- Paul F. Bryan, Chief Executive Officer, Grover Bryan, Inc.
- Jennifer Foster, Owner and Executive Producer, Foster Productions, Inc.
- Diana Bolivar, President, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metro Orlando
- Carlos Carbonell, Chief Executive Officer, Echo Interaction Group
- Ken Robinson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Phillips Inc. and The Dr. P. Phillips Foundation
- Mark Shamley, President and Chief Executive Officer, Association of Corporate Contributions Professionals (ACCP)
- Michael Farmer, Statewide Deputy Director of Development, Equality Florida Action, Inc.
- Tim Vargas, Board President, GLBT Community Center of Central Florida (The Center)
- Chris McCullion, Chief Financial Officer, City of Orlando
- Walter G. Hawkins, Director of Urban Development, City of Orlando Downtown Development Board/Community Redevelopment Agency
Equality Florida, the GLBT Community Center of Central Florida (The Center) and the National Compassion Fund announced a partnership with OneOrlando to ensure that funds collected are disbursed in a unified process.