Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer remains committed to ensuring that the OneOrlando Funds collected are directly distributed to victims’ families and survivors of the Pulse tragedy in an open, transparent and equitable manner.
To continue to keep the community informed, the OneOrlando Fund is pleased to provide an update on the initiative to date:
Administration of Funds to Victims’ Families and Survivors
Today, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer announced that attorney Kenneth R. Feinberg, considered the world’s foremost expert on victim compensation, will administer the OneOrlando Fund with the National Compassion Fund, a program of the National Center for Victims of Crime, a nonprofit group that is dedicated to assisting victims in the aftermath of mass shootings.
Feinberg will work with the Orlando community to develop a protocol that outlines how OneOrlando funds will be distributed directly to victims’ families and survivors. OneOrlando is committed to having an open and transparent process to ensure these decisions are made with input from victims’ families and survivors and the larger community.
Process for Distribution of Funds
While exact dates have not been finalized, the following are the next steps for the process and a general timeline that will ensure these funds are distributed as quickly as possible:
- Feinberg will meet with the OneOrlando Fund board to develop a framework that will outline the process for the distribution of funds. This framework will then be shared with the public.
- Two town hall meetings will be held on August 4, 2016, at the Amway Center to get feedback from the victims’ families, survivors and the Orlando community on the draft protocol.
- Based on the feedback from the town hall meetings, a final process for distribution of funds will be approved by the OneOrlando Fund board.
- The final process, along with claim forms for the victims’ families and survivors, will be made available on OneOrlando.org. A deadline to file a claim will be announced at a future date.
- Claims will be reviewed and payments distributed by October 1, 2016.
- No overhead or administrative costs will be paid for out of the OneOrlando Fund.
OneOrlando will continue to provide updated information as details become available.
While OneOrlando works through this process to get funds to victims as quickly as possible, the City is meeting the immediate needs of those impacted by the Pulse tragedy through the Orlando United Assistance Center (OUAC). This center serves as a navigation point for those who need support during this critical time of healing as well as moving forward. For personalized services, citizens can schedule an appointment through 407-500-HOPE or by visiting cityoforlando.net/hope.
OneOrlando Board Members Announced:
The OneOrlando Board, chaired by Orlando Magic President Alex Martins, was developed to provide oversight and guidance to ensure that funds are dispersed in a timely, accountable and transparent manner.
The members of the board represent the diversity of Orlando, including those in the Hispanic and LGBTQ communities, most directly impacted. OneOrlando Board members will include:
- Rena Langley, Senior Vice President, Public Affairs & Worldwide Government and Industry Relations, Walt Disney World
- Diane O’Dell, Vice President of Community Relations, Universal Orlando Resort
- Stephanie Ghertner, Director, Darden Foundation & Community Affairs
- Mark Meyer, Industry Manager, JPMorgan Chase
- Paul F. Bryan, Chief Executive Officer, Grover Bryan, Inc.
- Jennifer Foster, Owner and Executive Producer, Foster Productions, Inc.
- Diana Bolivar, President, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Metro Orlando
- Carlos Carbonell, Chief Executive Officer, Echo Interaction Group
- Ken Robinson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Phillips Inc. and The Dr. P. Phillips Foundation
- Mark Shamley, President and Chief Executive Officer, Association of Corporate Contributions Professionals (ACCP)
- Michael Farmer, Statewide Deputy Director of Development, Equality Florida Action, Inc.
- Tim Vargas, Board President, GLBT Community Center of Central Florida (The Center)
- Chris McCullion, Chief Financial Officer, City of Orlando
- Walter G. Hawkins, Director of Urban Development, City of Orlando Downtown Development Board/Community Redevelopment Agency
Stay Up-to-Date on the OneOrlando Fund:
The OneOrlando Fund will continue to provide updates on the process, anyone interested receiving these updates can sign up online to receive emails.